Three Things I Learned
– “Thirty percent of all youth suicides are committed by gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth. They are three to five times more likely then heterosexual peers and more likely to succeed when they do” (Kourany, pg.59)
– Within schools,40% of gay, lesbian, or bisexual students experience physical violence in schools. Also, with another 40% of students that say that their school work was affected by their environment.
– ‘Queering’ is the idea “re-educating parents” who object to teaching children about homosexual families
– I have a friend who recently ‘came out’ as someone who is bisexual. He has been dealing with the idea of sharing it with people for about 4 years. Everyone he has told has been supportive and he’s glad that he has told people.
– Last term we had a transgender person who came to our class and gave a story of the journey they had to go on. They told us why they did it and the things they had to go through since much of society does not want to acknowledge the situation. It was a sad story but impactful.
– How can we make classrooms/schools feel more open to students who maybe struggling with the idea of being LGBTTIQ?